RAFLing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jock Dempster

3 posters

Go down

Jock Dempster Empty Jock Dempster.

Post  Webbski Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm

I served with Jock Dempster at R.A.F. Gatow, Berlin, during the Cold War, after he had joined the first joint services Russian course, I think in 1948.
It was immediately obvious that Jock was a very unusual and a special kind of man. Although he was a Flight Sergeant when I first met him, but promoted Warrant Officer during my term serving under him, Jock was unfailingly courteous and considerate to those of us who were junior to him.
On his promotion, Jock presented me with his brass R.A.F. cap badge, as Warrant Officers wear the woven badge as worn by commissioned officers. He told me that I was “no a bad lad” and instructed me to “look after this laddie – there’s a lot of work gone into it. And, by the way, its your round!” I could not have had a more morale-boosting accolade than that from Jock, and I retain his badge to this day.
I would dearly have loved to pay my last and limitless respects to Jock at his funeral, but as I am based near Penzance in Cornwall, and no doubt the funeral will take place in Dunbar or close by, I regret that I am unable to do this.
My sincere condolences go to his lovely wife Maggie, who brightened each of our reunions like a ray of sunshine, and to all of Jock’s family and many friends, who, like me, have lost a totally unique and irreplaceable colleague and friend. His remarkable life will remain to all of us as a summit which none of us can hope to attain. I am just thankful that, despite the negligence and inefficiency of successive governments, Jock was able to receive his Arctic Star medal, for which he had fought for so long on behalf of all his white-beret shipmates, before it was too late.
I mourn the passing of a loved and respected colleague, and a totally unmatchable friend. Jock, as far as you are concerned, it will always be ‘my round’. It was a pleasure and a privilege to know you.
With sincere regrets and undying admiration, I shall always remain your loyal and respectful friend,

Webbski

Back to top Go down

Jock Dempster Empty Jock Dempster's Funeral

Post  donstu880 Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am

For those who may be interested in attending or sending cards/donations etc, Jock's funeral will take place on Tuesday the 14th of May at 12 o'clock at the Dunbar Parish Church (Queen's Rd, Dunbar, East Lothian EH42 1LB).

donstu880
Admin

http://donstuart.com

Back to top Go down

Jock Dempster Empty Jock Dempster

Post  daveandsylvia Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm

R.I.P. Jock. The best boss I ever worked for! Dave Howes

daveandsylvia

Back to top Go down

Jock Dempster Empty Jock Dempster

Post  donstu880 Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

I have just heard that Jock Dempster passed away a couple of days ago following a massive stroke. I have no further details at this time, but his wife Maggie has asked if we would respect her privacy at this very sad time.

donstu880
Admin

http://donstuart.com

Back to top Go down

Jock Dempster Empty Re: Jock Dempster

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum